Sunday, September 07, 2008

Welcome to the "Big Easy"

Here we all are in the beautiful city of New Orleans, Louisiana. And I do mean all! It seems that there are hundreds of PaRR inspectors here. The Radison, where the field office is located is a constant buzz of activity. From 8:00 AM well into the evening, there is something going on.

Due to the shear numbers of inspectors here, everything takes a very long time to get through. There are limited support personnel to service us and if there is anything I would fault PaRR for , it's this. I spent almost 5 hours waiting in 90+ heat to get a technical problem handled just today.

Finding a room is a constant challenge. Today, my wife managed to book a great deal on a double room for a week online. Problem was...when my room mate got down there (I was still in the f'ing line) the place was closed and had been for a week or more. Damn, back to searching. Finally took one for $100+ per night plus $15 per night parking. Plus the origional room mate bailed out on me and I had to find another. Given the crowded conditions, that was not really a problem. Found one in the tech support trailer before I left there.

I'm finally ready to get at it and do some inspections tomorrow.

Oh! I almost forgot the continuing saga of Alamo Rent a Car. They were closed yesterday so I could not turn the car. Managed to get by there today and they were very nice and understanding given I was turning in a car from Dallas, TX. They could have charged me $199.00 for the "drop off" fee for turning in a car at a different place but they were very nice about it and waived the charge. The rental for the exact same car was less here too. Texas has a 47% tax on rentals. Ouch!
Thats about it for today.
Later,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment

This function is monitored. Spammers & Trolls will be impaled (very slowly) by Vlad the Impaler's distant cousin and my personal friend. (I help get rid of the bodies)