Sunday, August 31, 2008

Gustov Hits the South

Hello Everyone!
The big news today is hurricane Gustov that is coming in out of the gulf somewhere in the LA and TX coast area. I'm waiting with baited breath too. You see, I'm a FEMA Disaster Inspector and I've been alerted via email to get ready to deploy. Not sure yet where or IF I'm going. Waiting for the call today. It will be either Texas or Alabama if I'm deployed per what I've been told so far.

I'm madly creating lists of things I'll need to take for a potential 30 day deployment. Think about it. What would you bring along if YOU were going into a disaster area for 30 days? Will there be rooms to rent, cars available for rent, phone service, internet, even food and drink? It will be an adventure for sure!

We are "independent contractors" so we must foot the bill for food, lodging and car rental while we are there. Essentially, all living expenses. An all this must be done with only a few days notice. Of course, we are paid well for doing this, the potential income is pretty substantial but the hardships are there too. And then there is the help flow aspect of the whole process. I will be helping a lot of people get their life back together if they are impacted by the storm damage. This is important and rewarding work in itself aside from the money. I know that FEMA got a black eye on Katrina but this time they have gotten their sh** together and are manning up way in advance of the storm. Things should go better this time.

I've been told that I will be flying into Dallas/Fort Worth area and then staging at a suburb called Desoto, TX until deployed. After that, who knows. If I have Internet service, I will be able to blog this whole experiance here as it unfolds. I will be taking my computer and broadband access card along to keep my life on track as much as possible. I pretty much run my life on the "Net" so I'm hoping that can continue. If not, drop back 5 yards and punt!

Stay Tuned to this channel, I'll be blogging about this adventure as much as possible right here on "Thoughts from A Boomer"

No comments:

Post a Comment

This function is monitored. Spammers & Trolls will be impaled (very slowly) by Vlad the Impaler's distant cousin and my personal friend. (I help get rid of the bodies)