Saturday, March 24, 2007

Getting "Hooked Up"

In my last post, I told of the move to a new home. As any of you that have done so recently knows, getting all the places notified of you new address can be a pain.

One of the benefits of being a "techie" and virtually living on the Internet is that this part went rather smoothly. I use a password manager to keep track of all the places I visit and/or do business on the Web. It's called "Roboform" and it's a huge time saver. It can be found at http://www.roboform.com/ Check it out. One of the features is the ability to set up a profile that will "auto fill" forms for you with all the proper information. It is password protected. I simply marched through the many "passcards" I had for all the various sites. Click on a passcard and the browser goes to the site's login page and RoboForm logs you in. Then I just went to each profile or "My account" section and used the saved profile to change all my info to the new address etc. I handled the changes on over 150 sites in about two hours.

The next hurdle was getting my DSL transferred to the new location. Whoa! Big Shock! I had been paying for and getting 2+MBs speed at my old location. Sweet! But that was not to be at the new digs. Because of the increased distance from the Central Office (CO) I could only get about 700 KBs down. Only 1/3 of my previous speed. Oh Well! It works okay for now. Nothing I can do about it anyway but hope for a "booster" station somewhere in the future. I use satellite for my TV so no high-speed cable access. I've been on DSL since 1999.
The transition did not go smoothly. The were supposed to kill the service at my old location and start it at the new place the next morning. No such luck. It finally took an on-site call from AT&T tech and a new dedicated line to my computer room to get it going.

My business depends on the Net, it's where I get my work. I planned for such outages and have a high speed data plan (SprintPCS) and Ev-DO card for my tablet computer. I had to run on that for four days till AT&T got it together. It was well worth the $60 a month that costs me.

I remember not all that long ago when I ran a company with 8 crews in the field, no cell phones and only pagers for contact. Seems so primitive now. He He !

Later, Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment

This function is monitored. Spammers & Trolls will be impaled (very slowly) by Vlad the Impaler's distant cousin and my personal friend. (I help get rid of the bodies)