Saturday, October 02, 2010

Are embedded roll-over's bugging you?

(Minor Rant)

I must disclose that decisions about making use of various web-based promotional activities is a big part of what I do everyday.  Both for my own businesses, and for those of friends and clients that I advise, I must weigh the ethics versus the ROI, often short-term, against employing many things that are offered these days.

Shameless plug: Another Blog of Mine

I decided to look at the situation through the lens of a regular user and consumer of  Internet content rather than through the lens of a business owner trying to use the “best” tools available.  Who’s definition of "Best” do you adhere to?

<rant>

I have been noticing an increasing trend lately. After having had my attention gotten by persistent pop-up roll-over hot link, embedded in a browser page I was viewing , I began to think about how intrusive they were becoming.  These little interruptions have started to  become annoying.

It is the "persistent” part that finally pushed me over the edge.  Each day I spend a lot of time on the computer for various reasons, both business and personal.  The majority of that time is spent "Web connected” since a majority of services have moved to the “Cloud”. 

In the past, prior to all of this web connected goodness, the links that were embedded in web pages were active, but only popped up a momentary small window offering to link out to that site.  These links are generated by a search algorithm that is run against each viewed webpage.  When a keyword that has been preselected from a list is recognized, the directed and targeted link connected to that paid for keyword  will be offered as a first choice when that keyword is rolled over by the mouse cursor. 

Now, that many spend the majority of their work and leisure time in the Cloud and Web connected whether they want to or not, they have become persistent. They no longer just pop up and go away after a few seconds.  They are no longer, to varying degrees a polite and gentle nudge.  Now they are that “in-your-face” pop-up search results, right in the middle of what one was reading and requiring an active click to dismiss, interruption to my train of thought has become intrusive. So much so that it now often causes me to click off and close the page and go elsewhere. I suppose it really depends on how badly I want to view the content containing these types of links.  If I decide the content is not worth the intrusion  I am required to deal with , You Lose! 

You may not be directly involved in using these tools.  It might be something your webmaster is doing or something that the company you are paying to promote your business on the Web is doing.  In any case, as an ethical business person, it bears looking into.  No matter who's generating these pop-ups, ultimately, it's your call whether this is a boundary you choose to cross in your promotional activities.

In my humble opinion, some have stepped over the line.  I began to seriously question my personal ROI for using that particular browser or visiting YOUR website. I understand the need to "monetize” content. I’m involved in doing so myself, as mentioned above.  “How far should you go?” is the million dollar question. 

</rant>

I must admit that I fall into the camp that believes that ethics are a consideration. I do not agree with those that follow the "Anything goes-buyer beware” philosophy. Doing so is not ethical in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This function is monitored. Spammers & Trolls will be impaled (very slowly) by Vlad the Impaler's distant cousin and my personal friend. (I help get rid of the bodies)